The Association of MBAs (AMBA) has revealed the 27 shortlisted finalists for the 2019 AMBA Excellence Awards.
The AMBA Excellence Awards and Gala Dinner, sponsored by Liaison International and Unibuddy, celebrates the quality and achievements of post-graduate business education at the forefront of leadership excellence, recognising the talents and contributions made by AMBA-accredited Business Schools, their students and graduates.
There are six categories comprising Employer and Business School Partnership Award, MBA Innovation Award, proudly sponsored by Liaison International, MBA Student of the Year Award and MBA Entrepreneurial Venture Award (private sector), as well as two new categories for 2019: MBA Entrepreneurial Venture (not-for-profit sector) and Business School Impact on Community and Society.
The winners will be announced at the awards ceremony in London on 1 February 2019 in front of an audience comprising prestigious business leaders, international Deans and Directors, distinguished MBA alumni and journalists.
The shortlists are as follows:
MBA Student of the Year Award
The MBA Student of the Year Award plays a pivotal role each year in supporting our pledge to promote the MBA's position as the leading international business qualification.
- Marshall Hong Jen, The Chinese University of Hong Kong – CUHK Business School (Hong Kong)
- Lucy Jun, ESADE (Spain)
- Ritika Israni, University of Bath School of Management (UK)
- Kevin McDonagh, JE Cairnes School of Business and Economics, NUI Galway (Republic of Ireland)
- Jenna Ross, Aberdeen Business School, Robert Gordon University (UK)
MBA Entrepreneurial Venture Award
The award is a fantastic way to highlight the success of accredited Business Schools that promote the nature of entrepreneurship in the MBA cohorts and is a chance for individuals to impress high-profile business leading judges who are already at the forefront of global entrepreneurship.
MBA Entrepreneurial Venture (not-for-profit sector)
- Aqila Choudhry, Leeds University Business School (UK) for Love in Care Limited
- Stuart Garrett UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School (Republic of Ireland) for Developing Healthcare Together
- Paul Quilliam, QUT Graduate Business School (Australia) for Hummingbird House
- Olga Shitova, MIRBIS Moscow International Higher Business School (Russia) for Fund ‘White Iris’
MBA Entrepreneurial Venture (private sector)
- Camilo Gomez Pinto, Adam Smith Business School, University of Glasgow (UK) for Once Upon a Whiskey
- Vitor Kneipp, Saïd Business School, University of Oxford (UK) for Banco Mare
- Gearoid O'Briain, UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School (Republic of Ireland) for Drone SAR-Search and Rescue
- Pablo Santiago Pereira, Universidad ORT Escuela de Postgrados y Ejecutivos (Uruguay) for ArmorBionics
- Nathaniel Southworth, Leeds University Business School (UK) for KAP Toys Ltd
MBA Innovation Award, proudly sponsored by Liaison International
This prestigious award is a celebration of innovation and radical thinking in MBA delivery across all areas of the Business School and has been developed to recognise and reward brilliant new practices. It promotes the values of taking risks in pursuit of the new.
- ESADE (Spain) for Rambla of Innovation
- Hult International Business School (US) for Developing a future Orientation: Future mindset and exponential technology nano-courses
- IEEM Escuela de Negocios, Universidad de Montevideo (Uruguay) for SOAR
- Indian Institute of Management Indore (India) for Himalayan Outbound Programme
- Mannheim Business School, University of Mannheim (Germany) for Innovative Leadership Module
- SP Jain Institute of Management and Research (India) for Post Graduate Management Programme for Women
Business School Impact on Community and Society
AMBA is thrilled to launch a new award for the 2019 Awards. The Business School Impact on Community and Society Award will honour AMBA-accredited Business Schools that share AMBA’s commitment to Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and are passionate about making a difference.
The Award will recognise Business Schools that have taken the initiative in creating a sustainable future and teaching MBA students about social values.
This important award will give a chance for AMBA-accredited Schools to stand out and showcase their innovative and original CSR programmes to the world.
- CENTRUM Business School, Pontifica Universidad Catolica del Peru (Peru) for CENTRUM Community and Society
- Copenhagen Business School (Denmark) for Responsible Ship Recycling Programme at AP Moeller-Maersk
- Imperial College Business School (UK) for What the Tech?!
- Indian Institute of Management Indore (India) for Rural Immersion Programme
- University of Exeter Business School (UK) for Developing Mindful Leaders in African Prisons
Employer and Business School Partnership
This award recognises organisations that share AMBA’s passion and have adopted a proactive, innovative approach to MBA attraction, recruitment, talent management and succession planning.
It is open to any employer and Business School working strategically and collaboratively in terms of recruitment and talent development in the MBA arena.
- Alliance Manchester Business School, The University of Manchester and Travis Perkins (UK)
- IESA Instituto de Estudios Superiores de Administracion Institute of Advanced Management Studies and Mondelez Venezuela (Venezuela)
For more information, case studies or interviews, please contact:
The Association of MBAs is the impartial authority on postgraduate management education and is committed to raising its profile and quality standards internationally for the benefit of Business Schools, students, alumni, and employers. AMBA established that vision in 1967 and it's as relevant today as it was more than 50 years ago:
- Our accreditation service is the global standard for all MBA, DBA, and Master's degrees, currently accrediting programmes from the top 2% of Business Schools in more than 70 countries.
- We are the only professional membership association that connects MBA students and graduates, accredited Business Schools, and MBA employers throughout the world.
- Through our proprietary research centre, we produce a rich body of reports exploring global trends in the sector and drivers of thought leadership.
- Networking opportunities online and in person are offered across all continents with corporate partners, alongside access to a database of career advice and knowledge and an MBA jobs portal.
- Accredited Business Schools and their students and alumni are provided with access to a range of exclusive services and benefits, including superior world-class events and training.
- All of our diverse stakeholder groups are integrated through contributions to our online community.
About the AMBA Excellence Awards judging process
Our independent panels of pre-eminent judges will review the chosen applications, select a winner and, if appropriate, choose a ‘Highly commended’ finalist for each award.
Our judging panel comprises AMBA board members, business experts, Deans and management leaders. All of our judges are selected based on their experience and qualifications.